Thursday, October 25, 2007

Day 4 - Punta Uva

Again, I woke up early and took a walk into town - I had some really GOOD coffee at Cafe Rico. While there I was approached by some crazy guy who gave me a flyer saying that the planes in 9/11 were flown by robots along with some other crazy conspiracy theories. I told him that I didn’t believe in that and he then told me tat he was a "real patriot". I wanted to ask him what he was doing living in Costa Rica but decided I'd rather not engage him in further conversation (a wise decision based on what others have told me). After returning to the house we called a taxi to take us to Punta Uva were we were dropped off at Restaurante Punta Uva (used to be El Ranchito). Since we didn't have any breakfast we decided to have a bite to eat and ended up sharing a plate of was was advertised as chicken fajitas but in reality were deep fried chicken strips with thousand island dressing on top. I guess the ticos have their own version :(

Punta Uva

The beach was nice but we had wished that we had gone a bit further south to the beach we visited last time which was much nicer. After a few hours the say was turning darker and we heard some thunder. Fearing rain we walked up to Hotel Pachamama to visit someone I had been in contact through TripAdvisor. Bill and his wife had purchased the hotel earlier this year and we living the good life as hotel keepers in paradise. After sharing beers and chatting for a few hours they called us a taxi to take us back into town. The ride back was only 3500 while the ride there was 5000. I guess next time we should ask for the price when we call so we can negotiate a better price. After cleaning up at home we walked into town and had some drinks at El Dorado it started to rain so we passed the time by playing cards and watched the baseball game on TV. Coconut man joined us for a bit. After the rain stopped, we decided to get some dinner. We wanted to eat dinner at Chili Rojo but since it was all you can eat sushi night the place was packed. We walked around for a bit and then decided to eat at Stanford's. We were promptly brought our drinks along with guacamole and chips. The guacamole was good but the chips were pretty soggy with the oil used to fry them. We then waited for a really long time for our arroz con pollo. It was almost as if they had to wait for the rice to grow and the chicken to hatch and mature so they could make our meal. I don’t know if the cook forgot or was taking along break or what. We saw other dinners waiting quite some time as well. I guess when the tips are included in the bill there isn’t much incentive for fast service. We won’t be going back to Stanford's.

No comments:

Post a Comment